Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sponge cupcakes with real jam!!

My new years resolution this year is to give up corn syrup. I figured it'd be pretty easy to accomplish since I try to eat organically and naturally as much as possible. And since I have a  huge sweet tooth, I've been able to give up the daily trips to the vending machine and stopped walking down the candy aisle at the grocery store. However, one love of mine that's been tough giving up is jam!! I love that sweet ooey gooey goodness and especially with my crazy travel schedule and ordering room service when I'm on the road, I have to just look at those cute little packets of jam with dismay since I can't have it.

But yet again, Trader Joe's saves the day. They carry a line of organic jam made with real cane sugar. Imagine my excitement when I bought a big ole jar. So to celebrate, I decided to make some sponge cupcakes with a surprise jam center!
  
Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks softened butter
1 cup cane sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup strawberry jam (make sure to get one that is firm)
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and fill a 12-cup muffin tin with the cupcake liner.

Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Starting and ending with an egg, alternate adding eggs and flour, beating until each is thoroughly incorporated. Beat in the water and vanilla until well mixed .

Spoon two heaping tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup followed by 1 teaspoon of jam -- do not stir jam to loosen. Top with 1 heaping tablespoon of batter, spreading to ensure jam is fully covered. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let cupcakes stand a couple of minutes and then move onto a wire rack to cool. When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar. Serve with cup of green tea and enjoy with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment