Thursday, March 31, 2011

Getting fat and happy at Honey Pig Gooldaegee

Korean BBQ has been quite trendy lately. I mean come on, who doesn't love a ton of meat cooked up right in front of you? And I feel like there are places popping up left and right all over Annandale. On our way home last night, we really weren't sure what to do for dinner. So as we're driving down Columbia Pike, trying to figure out where to go, we slowly make our way to Honey Pig and just had to turn in. It would be blasphemous to drive past right?

And normally we just get two platters of meat, but Tuan was super hungry and we both wanted to see if we could knock out 3 platters. So we ordered the bulgolgi, spicy pork belly (and asked for the chili paste) and marinated beef short ribs.
I happen to be sitting in the direct line of the steam, so I was getting a total meat facial. I didn't really care, I was going straight home afterwards, so smelling like meat didn't phase me at all. I always ask for extra kim chi, I love that stuff. I'm hoping to get my hands on Tuan's aunt's recipe soon so I can makes jars full of it for myself!

A really tasty way to eat is to get a piece of lettuce, pile on some meat, sauteed onions, roll it up and dip in the sauce. Or you can enjoy with a bowl of rice as well. The bulgolgi we ordered is one of my favorites, tender meat just marinating in a sweet and savory sauce. The spicy pork is amazing, especially as they're cooking it on the grill, they slather on more of the chili paste over top. So as the pork cooks, you get this caramelized sweet and super spicy flavor, absolutely delicious! And we normally order the galbi - beef short ribs, but they had a poster up of the marinated version, so we ordered that. It did not disappoint at all. The flavors were on point! One of the things I really love about Korean BBQ is just how simple it all is. It's straight up just meat cooked on a grill, served with a wide variety of picked veggies and sauces. The price is super reasonable and it's open 24/7, so you can get your meat fix any time, day or night.

No comments:

Post a Comment