Friday, March 4, 2011

Deep Fried Oreos!!!

This is one of my favorite go to food items at the fair -- along with gigantic turkey legs, corn dogs on steroids and an array of other deep fried goodness that will harden your arteries. I've toyed with the idea of making this at home for a while, and finally talked myself into making it last night! Most of my justification came from the fact that I'm using all organic ingredients and Oreo substitutes from Trader Joes -- so the cookies themselves were all natural and made with real vanilla and sugar! I told myself I would only make a few so I don't overdo it, I  managed to make 15 and stopped there.The key with this recipe is watching over the Oreos as they cook, since they brown up quickly. And they're best served warm with a ton of powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

Ingredients
1 (20 ounce) package of Oreos
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash of kosher salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
3 tsp vegetable oil
enough vegetable oil for the deep fryer
powdered sugar

Blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Mix in the eggs, milk and vegetable oil until smooth.

Preheat the deep fryer to 375.

Dip the cookies in the batter mixture until totally covered and then place in the hot oil, the cookies will float. Keep an eye on the cookies and turn them over once the bottom side gets brown. Remove the finished cookies and drain on a paper towel. Serve them warm with a generous dusting of powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment