Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chicken Marsala - just because there's marsala wine laying around the kitchen!


A few weeks ago, I had the family over for an Italian-themed dinner and made chicken marsala as one of the main entrees. Well, I had to buy a bottle of Marsala wine which has been sitting in my kitchen ever since. And I'm not one to let things go to waste so I made tiramisu cupcakes a few times and then made the chicken marsala again tonight, just because I'm trying to use up all the wine!

I've always been a little apprehensive about trying to make Italian at home. I always pictured it to be labor intensive and a really tedious process. Last thing I want to do when I get home after a long day is spend a few hours in the kitchen preparing a meal! But the first time I made this recipe, I realized it was something I need to keep in my repertoire, it's so quick and easy! And you can serve it with just about anything you can find in your kitchen. I had some linguine leftover from the Italian-themed dinner, so I just cooked some of that up and mixed it in with the marsala sauce. It worked out beautifully!

Ingredients
4 skinless boneless chicken breast
All purpose flour, for dredging
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces of prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 ounces of baby portabella, stemmed and halved
1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsely


Put the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of saran wrap over them. Pound with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/4-inch thick -- this is a great way to get out any frustration or aggression you may have. Put some flour in a shallow platter and season with a good amount of salt and pepper, mix to distribute evenly.

Heat the olive oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet. When the oil is nice and hot, dredge both sides of the chicken breast in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. Slip the chicken into the pan and fry for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown, turning only once – do this in batches if the pieces don't fit easily in the pan. Remove the chicken to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm.

Lower the heat to medium and add the prosciutto to the pan and saute for about 1 minute to render out some of the fat. Add the mushrooms and saute until they are nicely browned and their moisture has evaporated, about 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Pour the Marsala in the pan and boil down for a few minutes to cook out the alcohol. Add the chicken stock and simmer for a few minute to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the butter and return the chicken to the pan. Simmer for about 1 minute to heat the chicken through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment