Monday, March 28, 2011

A Healthy Cake Recipe?!

Since I've started my whole baking adventure, I have yet to try and tackle baking a cake, until tonight that is! I challenged myself to finally make a cake. And I didn't just want to bake any cake, but I wanted something healthy that I could feel good about after having more than one slice. So, I found this amazing orange walnut cake recipe on Martha Stewart's Whole Living site and tried it tonight. It's full of vitamin C, folate and omega 3 fatty acids, so I felt that this was a perfect recipe to try, I get a delicious dessert and some much needed nutrients. I was very impressed with the end result and having a slice of cake with a hot cup of green tea was the perfect ending to a Monday!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
Confectioners' sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the orange zest, flour, baking powder, salt, and ground walnuts. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and stir in the eggs, brown sugar, orange juice, and oil until well mixed and just moistened.

Brush a 9" cake pan with olive oil and line the bottom with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean,  about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. When ready to serve, dust generously with confectioners' sugar and enjoy with a cup of hot green tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment