Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Holy Smokey, it's Guacamole!!

I've never really been a fan of avocados, except if they were a part of my sushi roll. So it's been quite a challenge for me to really enjoy it, even though I know it's packed with nutrition and really good for you. But as of late, I've been having salads with slices of avocado mixed in and slowly, I've come to the conclusion that I don't completely hate them. I'm still acclimating to the taste and texture, but think that after a few more attempts, I just might acquire a taste for them. So I was having a Mexican themed dinner tonight -- main entree were chilli chipotle shrimp tacos with avocado salsa verde. And I, for some strange reason, really had an itch to make guacamole. Now mind you, I've only had this dip twice before, but felt compelled to try and make it in my own kitchen! The end result actually turned out surprisingly delicious. I was enjoying the creamy and smooth flavors of the dip. And one thing that really impressed me was how fresh it tasted! However, I couldn't eat too much, like I said, it's a taste that I'm trying to acquire. I wanted to share this recipe today cause I was super proud of my culinary first!

Ingredients:
3 ripe avocados
juice from half a lemon
6 dashes of hot pepper sauce
1/3 cup of finely chopped yellow onions
1 large garlic clove, mashed and finely diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 small ripe tomato, seeded and finely diced

Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and using a spoon, scoop the flesh out of their shells and cut into large chunks and place into a bowl. Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a potato masher, roughly mash the mixture. I wanted to retain some texture in my dip, so I didn't mash it up too much. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Taste the dip for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Serve with your favorite corn chips and enjoy a super healthy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment