Friday, January 28, 2011

How it all began...

So I've loved food all my life! But quality was never one of my biggest concerns. For me, I'd take quantity over quality any day. Take me to a buffet and I'd park my butt in that seat, engorging myself for hours! As long as my belly was full, I was a happy camper. And I definitely was not a healthy eater! Junk food and take out were my regular go to's. I remember doing an all fast food diet in college for about a week straight.

Along the way though, I did discover the joys of eating real quality foods! I think I can attribute that to my husband. He taught me the ways of a foodie and opened my eyes to the endless possibilities out there. Now I by no means call myself a foodie, far from it! I'll pay $10 to eat at a hole in the wall place hidden in a strip mall as fast as I would eat at a ritzy fancy shmancy place.

About two years ago, I decided that I'd try to be all organic and eat as many natural foods as possible. Well, seeing as how we ate out 4-5 times a week, this was next to nearly impossible. How can I ask a waiter if the rack of lamb I'm about to consume is organic and came from a humanely raised farm? So to tackle that problem, I decided to face my nemesis...the kitchen! I hardly cooked and if I did, it totally involved the microwave oven! Ask my husband about the time I tried to help him out in the kitchen, and he asked me to butter the top of the hamburger bun, and I literally buttered the top of the bun! So needless to say, my culinary skills were quite lacking. However, I took to the challenge of cooking as I would do any obstacle, hit it head on and beat it to a pulp!  I actually learned that I have quite a knack for cooking and really do enjoy it! Now, I still go out, how can I not? There are so many great food options in our area! But if I'm out, I kinda have to throw that whole organic thing out the window, as long as I control the food supply in my own kitchen, I'm happy. As recently as few months ago, I picked up baking! Woah...never saw that one coming. But I've actually managed to make some delicious cupcakes and cookies! And since I've recently given up high fructose corn syrup, I can still indulge my sweet tooth by baking.

So fast forward to today, I have some amazing kitchen gadgets and tools and love making delicious food to fill my belly! I hope to use this platform to share some of my experiences and trials and tribulations of trying to be Marth-RA Stewart. So please feel free to share comments and critiques!

1 comment:

  1. BB!! I love it! SO hilarious about the buttered hamburger bun! I can see you doing that oh so easily! OK, so you need to talk to Staci--she's been reading voraciously about Julia Childs and the mastering of French cooking--it is to DIE for good, so long as you have the time and patience. Yes, many can be organic recipes if you so choose, too. Having the right kitchen tools--pots and pans, cutlery, etc makes all the difference in the world! I bought her some copper-core All-Clad pots and pans for her birthday--Tuan will know of those...and they cook everything in 1/4 of the time cuz the get so hot so quickly and cook so evenly.

    I am looking forward to reading your recipes trials and tribulations! Just promise we get to taste these things you create soon enough!

    ReplyDelete